FuZing the Creative with the Consumer
Featured Artisan Dharma Designs

By Handmade FuZion on 4:10 AM

Filed Under:



Where are you located? Portland, Oregon

How long have you been creating handmade items? All my life - although not professionally until a year ago when my friends and a few strangers talked me into it.

What type of products do you offer? Asian inspired jewelry, pencil portraits, paintings, photos of my world travels, chai and exotic spice blends (coming soon) - what ever I happen to be in the mood for. :-) I'm also writing a fictional novel about a medical evacuation helicopter crew durring the Vietnam War.

How did you decide on your company’s name? I love the Buddhist concept of Dharma - a kind of Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You philosophy.

What is your motivation? I have an over-active imagination - and that little hamster in my brain keeps running on the wheel at full speed. :-) I admit it - I'm eccentric. I get an idea in my head and feel compelled to see it to fruition, whether it be a necklace, a portrait, or painting one of my cabinets to look like an antique from Tibet.

What do you enjoy most about creating handmade items? I love the fact that it's so personal - an expression of my soul and how I see the world. A lot of love goes into everything I do. It's like each work is a piece of me I'm sharing with the world.

Which items are your best sellers? So far my jewelry, although I've had a lot of interest in my pencil portraits - and have been commisioned to paint a huge oil painting recently.

How do you market your products? So far I use Etsy.com, Project Wonderful adds on art blogs, and word of mouth. I also happen wear my own jewelry, which has led to a few sales and selling my designs at the Portland Classical Chinese Garden gift shop. Business cards are a must.

What are your favorite features on Handmade FuZion? What new features would you like to see? I love the site - and all the artists and their creations. It's very user friendly, but I'd like to see the searche function fine tuned (i.e. search for China NOT cups NOT plates)

Do you have any advice for other artisans? Be true to your heart and soul - and follow your passions. Art is about expression, not about making money, which is often why we are "starving artists." LOL I'd rather create art for me and follow my soul than make money. To me, loving what I do and feeling complete is being successful. :-)

1 comments for this post

Thanks ladies! I am honored to be featured with such talented people. I love HandmadeFuzion and hope to see it grow as the years go by. Hugs! :-)

Posted on February 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM