FuZing the Creative with the Consumer
Featured Artisan KJM Silks

By Handmade FuZion on 4:30 AM

Filed Under:

KJM Silks

Art to wear.

Where are you located? Coral Gables, FL

How long have you been creating handmade items? I've been making handmade items all my life! The first things I remember are paper rings I made for my mother for Christmas, and a hand-sewn baby romper I made when I was about 6. The romper was for my youngest sister, born when I was six. I made it by sewing together fabric squares by hand - some of the stitches were pretty big and let's just say, there was good air circulation! My mother wrestled the baby into it just long enough for a photo op, and then put it away for posterity. I studied drawing and painting in high school and college, and ended up with a degree in painting. I began silk painting after the birth of my first child, when it became impossible to continue with oil painting, and that brings us up-to-date!

What type of products do you offer? I hand-paint and hand-dye silks: silk scarves, neckties, and pillows.

How did you decide on your company’s name? My name is a combination of my initials and what I do.

What is your motivation? I love art and I love to create. A day without creating is like a day without sunshine.

What do you enjoy most about creating handmade items? I love the fact that handmade items can be completely unique. If I paint a scribble scarf, there will never be another exactly like it. I love different!

Which items are your best sellers? My best sellers are my scribble scarves and neckties. I guess everyone loves scribbling!

How do you market your products? I have to admit that marketing is not my strong point. I sell my scarves online, and at some local gift shops. I have contributed to the Sampler, and I try to wear my products as much as possible, but I haven't used print or online advertising.

What are your favorite features on Handmade Fuzion? I love the variety and quality of all the wonderful handmade products. I love seeing the new products showing up on the front page. i can't think of anything I want to change.

Do you have any advice for other artisans? Keep making stuff!

0 comments for this post