FuZing the Creative with the Consumer
Featured Artisan Blue Sky Pottery

By Handmade FuZion on 6:03 AM

Filed Under:

Blue Sky Pottery / Deb Babcock




I was honored last year to be asked to submit my work which is featured in Best Of America Pottery and Woodworking Artists & Artisans Vol.1 by Kennedy Publishing.




Where are you located? I live in the mountains of northwest Colorado in Steamboat Springs. We're noted for our ski mountain and the number of Olympians who live and train here.




How long have you been creating handmade items? My first pottery class at the local college was taken in 2001. Since then, I've honed my skills with additional classes and workshops through such venues as Anderson Ranch, Laloba Clay Ranch, attending NCECA conferences, etc.




What type of products do you offer? The majority of my work is functional dinnerware. I like to think of it as a whimsically elegant style with the use of bright colors, textures and embellishments.




How did you decide on your company's name? Actually, a friend of mine came up with the name when we decided to rent studio space together. Meanwhile, she left to raise her young children and I retained the name.




What is your motivation? I enjoy making artistic pieces that are also useful. So I strive to combine functionality with my desire for pleasing all of your senses when you hold and use my pottery.




What do you enjoy most about creating handmade items? For me, it is the almost unlimited number of ways that I can use creativity to make something. From manipulating soft clay to form an object, to altering it via carving, poking, embellishments, etc. through the glazing phase and sometimes beyond when you add found objects to a piece.




Which items are your best sellers? People tend to especially enjoy my organic series of pieces that include teacups on leaf saucers, berry bowls and leaf bowls. My teardrop series of vases gain a lot of interest and are featured in shows and publications as are the whimsical teapots for which I have a nice following of admirers.




How do you market your products? Online through a site such as Handmade FuZion, in my studio which doubles as a gallery of my work and is located in an office building not too far from the ski mountain here, and at an annual holiday sale that is held locally with other ceramic artists.




What are your favorite features on Handmade FuZion? What new features would you like to see? One thing that I especially appreciate about Handmade Fuzion is the personal touch the owners provide, with frequent updates on what they are doing to promote the site, and the enhancements they have added as they receive feedback from buyers and sellers. It has a clean look, seems easy to navigate, and as a seller, it is easy to upload my work. Frankly, I need to get more of my work listed here since it is kind of hard to sell your work if you don't have it listed and available for sale, right? 




Do you have any advice for other artisans? Communication is key to making an online buyer comfortable and happy with their purchase. I always acknowledge a sale as soon as it comes through and tell the buyer a little something about the piece they bought, when it will go in the mail, with a request to let me know that it arrived safely. I also enclose a business card that contains a guarantee on the back should the recipient have any problems with my pottery. I offer to repair, replace or refund their money.




My teapot set that is currently on display at an International Teapot Show.

1 comments for this post

Great article, I have my own blog www.workguideforwomen.com. I would love to add you to my blog roll and hope you will do the same - let me know your thoughts. I am also part of www.ShesConnected.com you should check it out and add your profile, it's a great way to promote your business and blog.

I look forward to connecting with you and continuing to read your blog.

Best,
Kate
workguideforwomen@gmail.com

Posted on January 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM