FuZing the Creative with the Consumer
Featured Artisan Underglass

By Handmade FuZion on 11:30 AM

Filed Under:


Under Glass



Where are you located? I am located on the rocky coastline of Connecticut, we are a military family and have been stationed here for the last 13 years


How long have you been creating handmade items? Oh boy! I can't remember a time when I was not creating, so I would say from a very young age.


What type of products do you offer? Right now my current passion is jewelry, resin, plastic, glass, beads, and especially collage!


How did you decide on your company's name? When I was little I was fascinated by a collection of glass domes my grandmother had, every size and shape. Under each of the glass domes were her favorite items, those things most precious to her.
Items that were honored enough to placed under one of her glass domes were not all expensive or breakable, they were the items that touched her heart. A pressed dandelion, a hand embroidered handkerchief from her grandmother, a small cup full of pearls from her wedding dress.
When I would give my grandmother a handmade gift I would know I really got it right when she would say, "This is wonderful, this belongs under glass!" And up she would lift one of the precious glass domes and place her gift under it.
In my shop I hope you to will find something that touches your heart, something you will feel is good enough to place under glass. And that is why I chose "underglass" as my company's name.


What is your motivation? A deep seated need to create something all the time, I get hugely restless if I go too long without creating something!


What do you enjoy most about creating handmade items? Everything!
I love the ideas that come flowing through my brain as I am creating, I love the way it can transform from one idea and turn out to be something totally different but just as satisfying when it is complete. I love experimenting with all the wonderful supplies available. I especially love how those that appreciate handmade item are so enthusiastic about the work, creativity and heart that I put into each item.


Which items are your best sellers? I have teeny tiny Ouija board necklaces adorned with a cluster of beads and crystals, strung on a modern silicone cord that I can't seem to keep in stock. Also the tubular collage necklaces are different and very popular. But probably the most popular items in my shop are the translucent resin necklaces with barren trees and hand colored backgrounds .Dusk, Dawn, Scarlet twilight, Violet twilight, and Reflection to name a few.


How do you market your products? I have two online shops that I promote regularly, in various forums, I have had huge success participating in the little black box promotions and advertising on craft cult.
But hands down, the best marketing tool is word of mouth, offer great quality products, at a good price, and add in excellent customer service and you will find people will spread the word.


What are your favorite features on Handmade FuZion? What new features would you like to see? I absolutely love the ability to run a sale in an easy way! That feature alone is worth it's weight in gold!
With all the bells and whistles that are already available on Handmade FuZion I can't think of anything new I would like to see, but if I think of anything I will be sure to let you know!


Do you have any advice for other artisans? Put all of your heart into your creations, and love what you do!

0 comments for this post