FuZing the Creative with the Consumer
Featured Artisan Dottyral

By Handmade FuZion on 4:00 AM

Filed Under:



Where are you located?


I live and create in the beautiful Middletown Valley in Maryland.


How long have you been creating handmade items?


Forever. It started as a young girl when my grandmother taught me to crochet. I started out making things for family and myself, then started selling at craft shows, then wholesale trade shows. I started selling my creations online about three years ago. The internet is a wonderful thing!


What type of products do you offer?


My main focus for the past three years has been designing and creating pincushions. Making the practical cute is what I like to do. I want my pincushions to be more functional and even cuter than what you'll find at the local craft store. I think they are. Most of my pincushions don't just provide a place to store your pins, they're filled with a mineral called emery to keep them sharp too. My Emery Pincushions resemble strawberries, peapods, bunnies, and cherries atop cute cupcakes. My Pincushion Rings keep your pins right where you need them. All of them - super cute, practical and well-made.


How did you decide on your company's name?


I wish I had a different answer for this one. My unofficial, internet company name is "dottyral" - my first name and part of my last name. That was the username that I chose on my first internet site. I didn't realize at the time that name would become how I was known. I resisted for a long time, using my official company name along with it. I eventually realized that I need to embrace "dottyral". That's the name that was connected to my pincushions all over the internet. I now use it everywhere. If only I'd put more thought into it three years ago!


What is your motivation?


I'm inspired by practicality. I make things that are useful. I'm inspired by what's out there, and how I can improve it. I'm motivated by loving what I do. I love to design and create. I'd spend all day, every day doing it if I could. I'm motivated by the fact that I can generate income while staying at home. It doesn't get any better than to make money doing what you love, being your own boss, working on your own schedule, and all from the comfort of home.


What do you enjoy most about creating handmade items?


I adore doing handwork. Sitting in my comfy chair with my family nearby, taking tiny stitch after tiny stitch. It's relaxing and brings me great joy.


Which items are your best sellers?


This year, my cupcakes with cherries and my peapod pincushions were my best sellers.


How do you market your products?


I advertise online. I have a blog and flickr account. I think I've joined just about every social networking site on the internet!


What are your favorite features on Handmade FuZion?


I love the scrolls of recently listed and sold items.


What new features would you like to see?


I'm very impressed with the way that Handmade FuZion has adapted and changed since its opening. I can't think of anything specific at the moment. I know that when/if I do think of something that HF admin will listen and take it into consideration.


Do you have any advice for other artisans?


Do what you love. Don't look at what others are doing. Take some quiet time to think - often. It's amazing what you'll come up with.


Do you have anything else to share?


My most exciting recent accomplishment was receiving three official copyrights. This was a really big deal to me. Applying for them was rather scary and I really didn't know if they'd be approved. I was surprised and so pleased when the certificates arrived in the mail. Each copyright covers a whole collection - Pincushion Rings, Pincushion Pal Rings and Emery Pincushion Rings.

1 comments for this post

Thank you so much for the feature!

Dotty

Posted on January 21, 2009 at 9:41 AM